The 2017 Wishlist ~ Reviewed

2017 was an amazing year for me – James and I bought a house, moved to Woking (Surrey) and got engaged in Toulouse! We also went to three beautiful weddings and had a summer holiday in the Channel Islands. The only downside was that our weekends were so full, I didn’t really have much time to blog and what I did have to blog I was often filled with self-doubt about whether you’d find it interesting or not.

But when I looked back at the 2017 wishlist, I realised that I didn’t do all that badly at exploring new places. I also realised that I still managed quite a few things in London, even though we moved to Surrey much earlier than I thought we would.

In case you’re writing your own wishlist right now, I thought I’d share my review of The 2017 Wishlist.

Here’s what I ticked off the wishlist last year:

Visit Ham House and Petersham Nurseries in spring. We visited Ham House one sunny afternoon and I got so swept up in Wisteria Hysteria I totally forgot about Petersham Nurseries. It’s definitely worth putting on your list if you’ve never been before.

See a lavender field in season. I went to Mayfield Lavender Field with Germaine and it was a photographer’s heaven. I’m definitely going back to a lavender field this year.

Exploring Walthamstow was one of the first things we did in 2017 and we had a great time. It’s still evolving at a rapid pace so I’m sure we’ll try and go back one day.

Visit Wakehurst Gardens. It was such a lovely way so spend a Saturday, I reckon when we finally get a car I’ll be a regular visitor.

An autumn wander at Winkworth Arboretum. A must-see in autumn, as we’re not all that far away I’ll definitely be back this year.

Book tickets for the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House for me and my sister. Thanks to Germaine (sorry sis!) I finally got to see the ballet in London. We booked tickets for Alice in Wonderland and it was brilliant. I still want to see The Nutcracker and hopefully I’ll be quick off the mark when the tickets come out this year.

I’m giving myself half marks for:

Take a bike ride through Epping Forest. I didn’t make it this far North last year, but I did buy a bike which I love and I have been on quite a few bike rides through forests in Woking.

Druid Street Market for Saturday lunch. We actually made it to this market one Saturday but I was really disappointed with the food I picked up and ended up heading up to Maltby Street Market. I reckon it’s probably great when the right food stalls are there, and probably best done alongside a trip to Maltby Street Market.

Afternoon Tea, ideally at Sketch. I didn’t make it to Insta-worthy pink heaven, but I was treated to a massage and afternoon tea at Sofitel St James just before the end of the year and it was lovely. At the end of January I’m off to Nottingham for a Harry Potter Afternoon Tea with my best friends and I can’t wait!

Here’s what I didn’t manage:

A trip to Hampton Court when the leaves are green. Most of the summer was about the house and our summer holiday to the Channel Islands, but I’m hoping living in Surrey will help make sure we get there this year.

Bread Ahead Bakery School for the Introduction to French BakingDoughnut or Pizza Workshops. I’d still love to do one of these workshops.

Dishoom for the bacon naan and bottomless chai. It’s been on my list for years, I don’t know how I haven’t been here for brunch yet.

The Rumpus Room at the Mondrian Hotel for cocktails. It was a bad year for cocktails in 2017, maybe 2018 will be better?

A Sunday at Seven Sisters. I made two trips to Brighton but Seven Sisters wasn’t meant to be. But we’re heading to Eastbourne for a wedding this summer and hoping to spend some time by the sea!

Wander around Syon House. I totally forgot this was on my list. Oops.

A day trip to Oxford. Definitely one I’m going to do this year.

A weekend in Wales. I still want a Welsh weekend away but as we save for a wedding I suspect that overseas city breaks might take our weekend break funds.

Coming soon – The 2018 Wishlist! And more about what to expect on the blog this year.

Share:

8 Comments

1. January 8, 2018 / 9:32 am

Oh my goodness, congratulations on a wonderful 2017! I’d love to get to Petersham Nurseries too and I *still* haven’t been to Dishoom. Definitely on my list! Here’s to an equally exciting 2018 for you!

xo Jaime
    Angloyankophile

• ThisCityLifeLondon
      January 8, 2018 / 5:43 pm

Thank you!!!

Maybe you could get a taster of Petersham in their Covent Garden shop?! Not quite the same but it does have some beautiful things. Glad I’m not the only one who hasn’t been to Dishoom!

Here’s to us both having a great 2018! 😊

2. January 11, 2018 / 12:45 pm

Oh you definitely do have to go to Dishoom, the bacon naan is every bit as amazing as you will have been told! And Oxford is lovely. I know it pretty well but nonetheless shall look forward to seeing your photos when you go! I also saw and loved the ballet of Alice in Wonderland at ROH and I’ve seen the Nutcracker in the past, magical!
    Harry Potter afternoon tea sounds amazing! We did the Alice in Wonderland afternoon tea at Sanderson Hotel for my friend’s 40th last year and that was fab too!! Also, the Harry Potter exhibition at the British Library is really really good!

I yet again failed to get organised in time to book tickets for Christmas at Kew (it’s been on my list every year since I moved to London and I STILL haven’t been, I must make 2018 the year!) and I didn’t make it to Richmond Park either. Apart from that I did manage to make it to a few new galleries I’ve never been to before (the Paolozzi exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery was a highlight -he’s the guy who did the colourful mosaics in Tottenham Court Road tube), and I did go to the Portobello Star in Notting Hill for tapas and fantastic cocktails.

• ThisCityLifeLondon
      January 13, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Sounds like you had a pretty good 2017, Anita! I think I remember you had some amazing holidays too.

Some great tips as always. I always enjoy looking back over the year and finding out what every else has been up to and discovered. Have you tried Sketch? Would you say the Sanderson is better for tea? I’d like to do a London one too this year.

I’ll have to see if the HP exhibition has any tickets, I’m going to see The Cursed Child next month!

Look forward to hearing about what you get up to this year!

• January 15, 2018 / 9:20 pm

haha it’s true, I did have a wonderful holiday to Japan- a real bucket-list destination!

I’ve actually never been to Sketch for afternoon tea (only drinks), but would love to. Thus far the 2 best afternoon tea’s I’ve had in London are the Alice in Wonderland one at Sanderson, and the Chocoholic afternoon tea at the Hilton Park Lane (choc chip scones with praline spread are my kind of scones!!)

I’m sure you’ll love Cursed Child, I saw it last year -enjoy!

• ThisCityLifeLondon
          January 15, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Now I know how to have chocolate chip scones! Praline spread! We had some at a recent afternoon tea but they only offered jam on top, which was a bit strange, so I just added the clotted cream.

Hope you have an equally good 2018!

3. January 12, 2018 / 1:53 pm

Good work on the wishlist – so many beautiful spots! I haven’t made it to Bread Ahead either – perhaps we should join forces and try spur each other to book one together?! Looking forward to seeing the list for 2018 🙂

• ThisCityLifeLondon
      January 13, 2018 / 5:58 pm

Thanks!!! I was pleased that I’d done better than I thought when I looked back. Ooo joining forces would be good. I’m following Bread Ahead on Instagram and hoping it’ll tell me when the courses come up 🤞🏻. Just need to choose one to do! So many good ones.