I really enjoyed having a wishlist for the year last year, so I’ve decided to do another for 2017! Firstly it’s fun to think of all the things I really want to do. Secondly, although (as last year proved), it often ends up hard to manage it all, it’s the first place I go to when I just can’t think of what to do.
Hopefully, what I’ve shared in this post will give you a little bit of inspiration for your very own wishlist or a place to come back to if you need an idea too.
1. Take a bike ride through Epping Forest. I still love the idea of the wind rushing through my hair, the light dappling through the trees and pockets of peacefulness you can’t find as easily in the central parks.
2. Visit Ham House and Petersham Nurseries in spring. I visited Petersham Nurseries on a whim the other week and it really is a lovely place to potter around. There was a wedding on at the time so I didn’t stay long but I’d like to go back for tea and a wander.
3. See a lavender field in season. It looks like a photographer’s dream and I bet it smells amazing.
4. Go to Hampton Court when the leaves are green. James and I have had plans to visit for ages, I think it would be perfect those first few exciting weekend when the winter frost has thawed, the sunshine feels warming and the breeze feels refreshing.
5. Explore Walthamstow. It’s one of those areas that seems to be evolving at a rapid pace. I’m thinking a wander around the village, a potter inside the William Morris Gallery, a rummage in God’s own junkyard and either sandwiches at Hillman’s tea room or cocktails at Mother’s Ruin.
6.Visit Wakehurst Gardens. I’m able to visit for free as part of a corporate perk so it makes sense to try to check out Kew’s little sister.
7. Wander around Syon House. Talking of Kew reminded me that I should try to make it over the river from Kew Gardens to explore Syon House.
8. A day trip to Oxford. I’ve been once a very long time ago and my lovely friend Ashley (a former student) tells me I should definitely make a return visit.
9. A weekend in Wales. We used to visit Barmouth and the sand dunes of Dyffryn Ardudwy almost every summer as a child and I loved it. I haven’t been in so long and I keep seeing some great views of the Welsh countryside so I think it’s about time I planned a return trip.
10. A Sunday at Seven Sisters. I’ve seen so many pictures of Eastbourne and Beachy Head on Instagram, but Jessi’s trip last summer definitely inspired me to turn a sight-seeing visit into a long walk along the Seven Sisters. The bracing sea breeze and stunning views would blow any cobwebs away.
Here’s six more I’m carrying forward from 2016:
11. Afternoon Tea, ideally at Sketch. It’s been so long since my last afternoon tea and I still haven’t tried Sketch. Have you had an amazing afternoon tea recently? I’d love any other recommendations.
12. Dishoom for the bacon naan and bottomless chai. I still need to try it!
13. The Rumpus Room at the Mondrian Hotel for cocktails. I’ll need at least one cocktail hour in 2017.
14. Druid Street Market for Saturday lunch. It’s still got to be an ideal weekend activity.
16. An autumn wander at Winkworth Arboretum. I love seeing the season in different places and this will be on my wishlist until I visit.
17. Book tickets for the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House for me and my sister, maybe the Nutcracker at Christmas (seeing as I don’t have a festive one for the list this year!).
With a city break wishlist I’m currently itching to work through, a potential house to buy and only 52 weekends in the year it’s
probably definitely impossible to do it all, but as I said before it’ll at least give me some inspiration when I need a break or something to look forward too!
What’s on your wishlist for 2017?