Happy New Year! I hope you’ve had a good start to 2016!
I’ve enjoyed a peaceful start, choosing to make the most of a quiet weekend and only leaving the flat for coffee, food shopping, and a long (wet) walk in Richmond Park. The rest of the time has been spent curled up on the sofa with my kindle, or under a blanket watching films and box sets. I’ve had so much rest that I’m just about ready to return to work and jump into what is likely to be another busy year.
But before I return to a regular routine, I wanted to put down in writing some sort of goals for the year.
The views I’ve read on New Year’s Resolutions over the last few days seems to be mixed, with some embracing a set of goals or choosing a general motto to try to live by, and others deciding that the whole process adds unnecessary pressure and most likely won’t bring significant change. I always see the new year as an opportunity to start with a clean slate and set a few aims (I get the same feeling in September thanks to the school year etched in my brain!), but at the end of 2015 I learnt that vague goals don’t seem to work well for me. I need things that are achievable and I can basically cross out when they’ve been done so this year I decided to do something I love. Write lists!
I started by thinking about what was on my to-do list at the end of 2015 and what I wanted to carry forward to the new year. I came up with the below wishlist of 16 things I’d love to do in 2016.
- Duck & Waffle for stunning views and the Full Elvis.
- Sketch for Afternoon Tea.
- Dishoom for the bacon naan and bottomless chai.
- The Little Taperia for dinner.
- The Rumpus Room at the Mondrian Hotel for cocktails.
- Yolkin Ice Cream Macaron for a weekend treat.
- Druid Street Market for Saturday lunch.
- Bread Ahead Bakery School for the Introduction to French Baking, Doughnut or Pizza Workshops classes.
- Visit Cambridge for a spring or summer picnic and punting down the river.
- Visit the Norfolk Broads to fill my lungs with countryside air.
- A summer stroll at Hampstead Heath.
- An autumn wander at Winkworth Arboretum.
- Visit Victoria Park and enjoy a leisurely brunch.
- Try to get tickets for the TfL Hidden Underground tours.
- Book tickets for Christmas Carols at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Book tickets for the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House for me and my sister.
I thought I should think of a personal wishlist, and I’ve chosen five things:
- Join a weekly yoga class in South London – recommendations welcome! (I’d like to run once a week and do more walking too.)
- Read at least four non-fiction books, ideally related to my job/ industry. (I’m still aiming to read at least 12 books over the year.)
- De-clutter my laptop, back up my photos and complete software updates (I never do this!).
- Cook a Thai dish from scratch.
- Bake bread at home from scratch.
Throw in 30ths, a 60th, a 90th, three or four weddings, hen dos, seeing my family and friends, and keeping up to date on all the new things popping up in London (not to mention continuing the blog!), there’s no doubt that another year will fly by!
Do you have any wishlists for 2016?