You can’t beat a good Italian meal and a filling of carbohydrates. In this month’s ‘Fresh recipes’ Danielle shares her recipe for spicy meatballs, one of her speciality Italian dishes with a kick. I’m hoping to try this out soon so keep an eye out on Twitter and Facebook to see how I get on!
This recipe is one I have perfected over the past couple of years and is an easy, simple recipe that everyone can enjoy. I’m a big fan of spicy food as well as a good traditional pasta dish and find this a good combination of both. I got my inspiration for this recipe from a Gordon Ramsey Bolognaise and a low fat meatball recipe which I found in a Slimming World magazine. I enjoyed different parts of each recipe so decided to incorporate them into my own and I wasn’t disappointed. If you enjoy a healthy and wholesome dish, this is one for you to try.
Ingredients (serves 4)
500g of lean beef mince
2 red chillies
2 cloves of garlic
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
1 tsp dried Rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
6 – 8 mushrooms
240g spaghetti (60g per person)
Salt to season
Olive Oil or Fry Light spray Oil
1) Finely chop the garlic and chillies (I used a food processor to make it easier).
2) Place the minced beef into a mixing bowl and add the garlic and chillies. Mix it together with your hands and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
3) Finely chop the onion, carrot and garlic and add to a pan on the hob. Add a little olive oil or fry light to ensure the mixture does not stick.
4) Fry the mixture for 5 minutes and add the rosemary and oregano and stir.
5) Return to your beef mince and separate into 12 small balls. Heat a frying pan on the hob with a small amount of olive oil or fry light and brown the meatballs for 10 minutes turning half way through.
6) Add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes to the pan and stir. Add a pinch of salt to season.
7) Add a cup of boiling water to the beef stock cube and stir. Add this to the pan and stir.
8 ) Chop the mushrooms into small slices and add to the dish.
9) Once the meatballs have been cooking for the 10 minutes add them to the tomato sauce and simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes.
10) 20 minutes before the meatballs are ready, boil a pan of water and cook the spaghetti for 10 – 12 minutes.
11) Serve with a sprinkle of Cheese or Parmesan
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. Bon Appetite.
Another delicious meal Danielle! Can’t wait to try the recipe it out!
If you do try it, let us know how you get on! We’d love to see some pictures so tweet one to @This_City_Life and @Dan_Harr_1984, or upload one to Facebook. It’ll get some stomachs rumbling!